So, this recipe makes a lot of food.
It’s become a regular in my family’s rotation in part because it does make so much. Any time dinner can become lunch for me the next day, I’m #winning.
Before I realized I had celiac and went out to dinner more often, broccoli and chicken was one of my favorites at Chinese eateries. I would usually have them add cashews if they were the kind of spot amenable to menu substitutions.
I can’t go out to Chinese restaurants anymore because most soy sauces contain gluten, but oh how I missed my broccoli chicken. Trouble is, to prepare it well and with lots of flavor, I’d need to stand in front of the stove for longer than I have to stand.
So about a year ago, I played around with roasting the broccoli and cashews. Cooking them in the oven reduces my “hands on” time as well as the overall prep time for the dish. That was my goal.
But roasting the broccoli and cashews also lends a really delicious flavor to the dish. Additionally, I can use the extra time to really glaze the chicken well. Together, it makes for a really yummy but simple weekday supper.
Plus, those bonus leftovers the next day!
A few notes – I use coconut sugar. If this is something you can’t access, play with other sweeteners. Leave a comment if you have success (or failure.) I think I would play with honey first if I couldn’t get coconut sugar. But I can’t guarantee the results of the dish if you don’t use the coconut sugar.
And about that glazing, you really have to let that chicken cook. Cook it and cook it. Keep moving it around in the pan until each piece is sticky and there’s hardly any sauce remaining in the pan. Don’t pull it off too soon or you’ll miss the yumminess.
- 6 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 2 cups raw, unsalted cashews
- ½ cup + 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup coconut aminos
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix broccoli florets and raw cashews in large roasting pan.
- Melt ½ cup coconut oil and add to broccoli cashew mix. Stir.
- Add salt and stir to combine well.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes, stirring throughout that period to evenly cook.
- While broccoli and cashews are roasting, mix coconut aminos through ginger in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add to medium bowl.
- Pour sauce over chicken and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a very large skillet to medium high.
- Once skillet is hot, add ½ TBSP coconut oil and whirl to coat.
- Pour chicken and sauce into skillet. Spread out the chicken immediately and then let it sit until it starts to brown and stick to the pan.
- Then, begin to move the chicken around the pan, continuously stirring until the chicken is cooked through, the sauce is almost gone and the chicken is fully glazed. Each piece of chicken should be sticky and covered in sauce.
- Once the chicken is well-glazed, reduce heat to low, add the roasted broccoli and cashews to the pan. Stir to combine well and then serve immediately, ideally with white rice.