If you read yesterday’s post, you know that I am serving up my fish taco recipe in three parts.
First, you got the details on the crunchy topping I use, which is Red Cabbage & Cilantro Slaw.
It’s Avocado & Cilantro Dressing, and it was inspired by the Fish Taco Salad at Hondo’s On Main in Fredericksburg, Texas.
If you ever have the chance to go to Fredericksburg, Texas, GO!
And, if you’re ever in Fredericksburg, then absolutely stop by Hondo’s. Tell my Aunt Cris and Uncle Johnny that I sent you.
Cris and Johnny own the place, and when I raved about the Creamy Avocado Dressing on the Fish Taco Salad, Cris wrote out a rough recipe for me. I’ve adjusted it somewhat over the years, and the recipe you see below is everything that Cris’s version is with a little Kristine spin.
You can use it on fish tacos, of course, or a fish taco salad like they do at Hondo’s. It would also be fantastic on a regular taco salad, on tostadas, or as a dip for veggies or plantain chips. Have fun with it! (Because if Hondo’s is anything, it’s FUN!)
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup water
- ½ TBSP lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 TBSP cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup kefir
- 1 TBSP avocado oil
- Peel avocados and add flesh to food processor. Puree until they just begin to smooth.
- Add water and puree again, this time letting the mixture get smooth and even in consistency.
- Add salt, cilantro and kefir. Puree until cilantro is in small pieces and mixture is smooth and well-combined.
- Add avocado oil and puree once more to combine.
- Serve or refrigerate immediately.